What if the Other Parent’s Paternity Hasn’t Been Established?

Before the court can issue a child custody and parenting time order, a child’s biological father or second parent’s legal relationship must be established. When a parent (usually the mother) is unmarried and the father has not been declared a legal parent, the court will need to hear a case for paternity before deciding issues of custody, parenting time, or child support. This may include DNA testing, testimony, or other proof that the other parent is the biological parent of the child.

For More Information

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.