How Does the Oregon Court Decide Who Gets Custody?
Oregon family law judges decide a dispute over child custody and parenting time based on the best interest of the child. To reach that decision, the court will consider:
- The child’s emotional ties with other family members
- The parents’ attitude toward and interest in the child
- Whether it is desirable to continue an existing relationship
- Abuse by either parent
- The child’s preference as to primary caregiver (if that caregiver is fit)
- Each parent’s willingness to facilitate the child’s relationship with the other parent